What You Need To Know About Uniform Rebates

If you have to wear certain clothing during your work hours, whether this is a recognizable uniform or personalized workwear, and cover your own costs for small repairs and washing, you could be entitled to a tax rebate.  This rebate is possible for up to 5 years’ worth of expenses.  You will not have to consult with an attorney as you can fill out the rebate form yourself.

Can You Claim Back Your Laundry Costs?

If you want to claim back your laundry costs, there are a few requirements you will need to meet first.  The clothing you wear will need to be recognizable as a work uniform.  This could be anything from a shirt which is branded with the company name, a dress code that you have to adhere to or a uniform such as that worn by medical staff.

Your employer will also need to insist that you wear the uniform during working hours or for any business activity.  You have been required to purchase, clean and replace the clothing yourself.  If you have to make any small repairs to the clothing such as sewing on buttons, this will also count.

You will also need to have paid income tax for the years that you are claiming the costs back for.  It is important to note that if your employer provides you with laundry facilities or launders the clothing or pays for the maintenance of the uniform, you will not be able to make a claim.

How Do You Claim The Uniform Tax?

You will be able to claim a uniform tax rebate for the last 5 years.  However, you will need to be able to prove that you have been wearing a uniform for the whole time.  If you can, you will need to fill out a form on the revenue authority.  You can generally do this online, but you can also submit a paper copy if you want.  It is important to note that you will have to complete one form for each year you claim.

What You Will Need To Submit

When you submit your form, you will need to provide your employer’s name and address.   You also need to state your occupation, job title and the industry you work in.  Your PAYE reference and tax number will also need to be provided.  You should also state how you want to be paid such as into your bank account or by check.

Once your claim has been processed, you will be sent a letter that tells you about how much you are entitled to and when this will be paid.  Of course, you should keep in mind that the claim could take up to 5 weeks to process.  Once you have made the first claim, it will be easier to claim in the future because your tax code will be adjusted to include the rebate.

Other Points You Should Note

If you are in the armed forces, you should not have to go through this process at all.  Your tax code should already be adjusted to include this.  Additionally, you should not have to go through this process if you are in the police force.  Each force will have their own arrangements and you should check this.

The amount that you will be entitled to will vary depending on the industry you work in.  However, after your first claim, you will not have to manually claim a second time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *