Exercises can be intensely difficult to accomplish, especially because you have to always maintain that dedication and passion towards your goal without the glitch. And this is even more difficult when it comes to exercises that target abdominal endurance.
Abdominal endurance is used to maintain a person’s fitness performance and to be able to continuously work on the physical goal that you may have. With great abdominal endurance, you will be able to accomplish more fitness workouts and goals. And more than just fitness performance, this endurance can also play a major role in your good posture.
The truth is that you would need endurance to maintain the correct alignment of joints, bones, and spine, which will contribute in the end to great posture. And one way you can boost abdominal endurance is through the best ab workouts. A lot of ab workouts will lead towards the strengthening of the core and abdominal muscles, and contribute to abdominal endurance.
If you are an athlete, there are several important factors that can be taken into consideration when it comes to abdominal endurance and the necessary workouts that can contribute to it.
These factors include the following:
- Maximum rate of Oxygen Consumption in the Body- helps in the measurement of aerobic capacity that can improve endurance when there is a targeted training towards maximum oxygen uptake
- Level of Exertion Muscles can accumulate- higher level means that you get to improve the ability to workout harder and more often
The great thing about abdominal exercises is that they are also exercises for erectile dysfunction. Doing these exercises can help you with any problems you have in the bedroom, which is why following and doing them can help you improve more than just your physical fitness. Here are 10 excellent exercises you can take into consideration in strengthening your abdominal endurance.
When it comes to exercises for abdominal endurance, crunches will always be at the top of the list. The superficial abs found in front of the torso is called rectus abdominals, and crunches are great for building endurance and strength in that part of the body. This exercise can be accomplished with 15 to 25 repetitions for it to be effective. A result of the exercise is shown after six weeks.
- To do these crunches, follow these steps:
- Lie on the floor with knees bent
- Rest your hands behind your head
- Slowly lift your shoulders, neck, and head 30 to 40 degrees
- Repeat the lifting up and down with control for several repetitions
There are different variations that you can use if you get bored in this basic crunch form. You can use a Swiss ball to do something different and in the process be able to improve and increase the effectiveness of the exercise.
2. Elevated Leg Crunches
Elevated leg crunches can be accomplished as a more complex form of crunches. This crunch exercise can be accomplished by following these steps:
- With your hands cradling your head, lie on the floor
- Extend both of your legs upward toward the ceiling
- Position your legs over your hips and tailbone to be in contact with the floor
- Make sure to keep that position for a short period
- Raise your shoulders, neck, and head up towards your leg in 30 to 40 degrees
- Pause for a moment and keep that position
- Lower your head back to the mat completely in a controlled manner
- Complete one repetition and repeatedly do so until satisfied
3. Plank Holds
Staying in a planking position can effectively test your endurance, but at the same time, it could also improve it in the process. It may sometimes look too easy, but after few seconds, you can easily feel the tension on your abdominal muscles and the strain and difficulty of maintaining that pose. The basic position of planking involves the following steps:
- Be in a push-up position (Be on your hands and toes or on your forearms and toes)
- Hold that position for about 20 to 90 seconds at a time
When it comes to this position, you can add different variations in order to increase the effectiveness, your ab endurance development and your testosterone levels, and it’s still better than taking any enhancers such as Proviron or any other PED’s. If you feel like this exercise can be a bit harder for you, you can use your knees as a form of support and continue to do so until your endurance and strength are able enough to complete the full version.
4. Two-limbed Plank
Two-limbed plank is simply another version of a planking position that will surely keep your core strong and tight. To accomplish this specific exercise, follow these steps:
- Make sure to established first a standard planking position balancing on your forearms
- Slowly raise your right arm and at the same time your left leg
- Stabilize by pushing on your right foot and left arm only
- Repeat the entire process on your left arm and right leg
While this is one of the forms of this specific plank form, you can also follow these steps:
- Live your right leg off the floor for few inches
- Rest on your forearms or hands and your left toe
- Repeat this process on your left leg
- Make sure to hold the position for about 10 to 20 seconds
- Complete repetitions for 3 to 5 times on each side
5. Compound Exercises
There are different exercises you can consider, but one of the fastest and most effective ways of increasing abdominal endurance is through compound exercises. These exercises are guaranteed to burn calories, develop the muscles, and increase your stamina, while at the same time requiring more powerful cardiovascular activity and more energy.
Helping to work the muscles in the heart, some of the compound exercises are:
- Push ups
- Pull ups
- Squats with overhead press
Combining several compound exercises could also be more effective.
6. Stability Ball Crunches
Stability ball crunches are the more intense form of crunches that would require you to use a stability ball. Of course, compared to the standard form of crunches, this form is much more complicated. You can accomplish this exercise by following these steps:
- Slowly sit on the stability ball and situate your low and mid back on the wall
- Situate your fit on the floor, hip-distance apart
- Offer support by placing your hands behind your head
- Make sure to keep your elbows open to the room’s sides
- Pull your bellybutton inward toward your spine
- Root down your feet and curl your shoulders, neck, and head towards your thighs
- Make sure that your tailbone and lower back are in contact with the ball
- Slowly return to the starting position to complete one repetition
- Ensure that you keep your feet off the floor
7. Reverse Crunches
One of the most common forms of crunches that can be done, reverse crunches is completed by following these steps:
- Get a mat and lie down on your back
- Slowly place your feet flat on the ground and bend your knees
- Keep your hands alongside your hips on the mat
- Pull your hips and feet upward towards your torso and contact your abdominals in the process
- Make sure it feels like you are pulling your belly under your rib cage
- Pause momentarily
- Return your feet towards the floor and your hips towards the mat
- Be in a planking position and do it again
8. Side Plank
Side plank is another effective exercise that can be used to improve your abdominal endurance. This exercise can be completed through these following steps:
- Start with the basic planking position on your forearms or hands
- Slowly rotate to the right side of the room and gently stack your shoulders, hips, and feet
- Reach your left arm towards the ceiling
- Make sure to place the hand on your hip
- Hold this position for about 20 to 90 second
- Repeat the process with your left side
When it comes to different forms of planking, it is important that you first master the standard form of planking. After that, different planking positions will be a piece of cake.
9. Balancing Planks
Another form of planking, balancing planks will require you to be more flexible and more resilient in your workouts. It will also require an equipment or instrument like a balancing disk, half ball, or a stability ball. This exercise can be made possible by following these steps:
- Slowly place your forearms or hands on the equipment chosen (Balancing disk, half ball, or a stability ball)
- Make sure to keep your toes on the floor
- Place your feet on the equipment and hands on the floor alternatively
- Hold that position for about 20 to 90 seconds for completion
10. Strength Training and Cardio Combination
Strength training and cardio are intense forms of exercises. People who can undergo these exercises are guaranteed to have incredible endurance so it is not surprising that if you want to improve your abdominal endurance, this combination is one of the most powerful options you can follow.
This combination requires awesome stamina, and the program can be incredibly intense. The following exercises can be used for this combination:
- 400-metre run, kettlebell swing, and pull ups (Complete three rounds while being time-restraint)
- 1-minute jump rope, push ups, squats, and pull ups (Complete three rounds)
These exercises can be done alternately, or you can also look for other CrossFit and high-intensity program and training that you see fit and better for you.
There are other exercises that can be accomplished to improve your abdominal endurance and the exercises you choose will only depend on your own strength, time, and endurance. Other physical exercises and sports activities that you can do for your endurance include
- Aerobic Exercises
To make these exercises, and all other exercises, more effective you have to follow these practical tips.
- Never forget to rest up- While you want to exercise and improve your abdominal endurance as fast as you can, it is important to rest up. This is the same as having cheat days when dieting. You need to have fresh, rested muscles to be capable of going as hard as you can in your programs and workouts.
- Make sure to eat right- Fuel your body in the best way possible, and it can only be done by keeping your body full of carbohydrates and nutrition. The perfect combination of protein and carbohydrates will help you improve your endurance performance, and in the process help in reducing the damages, you’ve accumulated in your muscles with exercise.
- Undergo high-intensity interval training- Improving your endurance can actually be possible by using quick bouts of intense and powerful exercises. Mix up strong traditional exercises and include simple programs like running stairs or track workout.
- Motivate yourself while working out by listening to music- It is important to go through the exercises and complete them with as much confidence as you started. And this can be made possible through the aid of music. In fact, listening to music is known to improve endurance performance while working out.
- Learn how to train in the smartest way possible- Build your endurance by not starting strong but steadily and slowly speeding up the process. You can only train smart by making sure to effectively exercise while at the same time avoiding injury and being safe in the process. Make sure to drink a lot of water and get plenty of sleep.
- Variation is the key to endurance training- When it comes to different forms of exercises, do not always stick with the standard and mix different exercises in the blend. Use dumbbells and kettlebells for different variations, to strengthen the following:
Work on the exercises you are weak on- If there are specific exercises you find difficult, don’t give up on them. What you can do instead is to work on those weaknesses and be more comfortable in doing these difficult exercises. To make it a lot easier for your, mix in some simple exercises to the ones you find incredibly difficult.
Accomplishing and completing these exercises can be incredibly difficult. While some professionals would advise you to go for it hard, make sure you know the limitations of your body. Try to get a feel of what you can and can’t do before devoting yourself to a specific program. It is important to learn first if you can complete the said program or not before your even start on it.
It is a difficult road ahead if your goal is to improve your abdominal endurance. You have to be religious and dedicated to the exercises you’ve chosen, yet at the same time be dedicated to keeping your body at its top and best form. Make sure to include all the factors that can influence how you exercise and take them into consideration.
From what you eat to your number of sleeping hours, these basic details seem to be irrelevant but can make a big difference in your goal towards better endurance level. Keep them on a level that will allow you to work hard on your exercises without having to work yourself towards over fatigue.
He has been a Health & Fitness Advisor for Consumer Health Digest. He loves to write about General Health & Fitness topics. Will also believes in providing knowledgeable information to readers and constantly motivates them to achieve their goals. He is also passionate about traveling, arts and discovers and writes for people. Connect through: Facebook, Twitter, & Google+.